Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 04: HISTORIES
1937-2000 HISTORY PMSS Summaries
HISTORY PMSS Summary 1941-1942
TAGS: History PMSS summary 1941-1942, staff, events, reports, number of students, work camps, visitors, publications, building repairs, Harmon Foundation filming, plays, defense rally, folk-dancing, Guidance Institute, REA service, medical clinics, holidays
TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1941-1942 [image 15]
History of the Pine Mountain Settlement School
August Angel, Printing
Malcolm Arny, Counselor
Birdena Bishop, Community Group Teacher
Jess Burden, Mechanics Teacher
Leona Burden, Home Economics Teacher
Boone Callahan, Woodworking
Alice Cobb, Publicity (Special, 6 mo.)
Edith Cold, English, Library
Olive Coolidge, Infirmary Assistant
Lois Fenn, Dietician (1 month)
Arthur W. Dodd, Principal
Georgia Dodd, Housemother
Janet Grant, Secretary
William Hayes, Farmer, Dairyman
Gladys Hill, Co-op Teacher
Alice Joy Keith, Science Teacher
Martha Anne Keene, English, Bible
Josephine Merrill, Housemother
Ruth Moody, Dietician (Nov. – May)
Gladys Morris, “Special” Assistant
Wyndham Hunt Nutter, Doctor (July – Feb.)
Mildred Robertson, Ass’t Nurse, Summer 41
Grace Rood, Nurse
Ruth Shuler, Ass’t. Secretary
Emma Carter Smith, Housemother
Barbara Spelman, Bookkeeper
Ella Trufant, Housemother, Music Teacher
Nannie Ward, Dietitian (to October)
Lutrella Baker, Line Fork
Rev. Richard Baker, Line Fork
Anne Gould, Line Fork (Summer)
Anna Pishzak, Big Laurel Medical Settlement
Number of Students: 107 (92 boarding, 15 day)
Events: 35 Harlan children and four
TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1941-1942 [image 16]
Page 2, 1941-42
The Junior work camp, under the direction of Mr. Thomas Richie and Miss Jeannette Saurborn, NY, was smaller than hoped (5 girls, 3 boys). Mr. Morris recommended that this program be discontinued, and in
One week-end and two one-week groups from Evarts were hosted during August.
July, 1941, issue of “Consumers’ Cooperation” contained “Teaching Cooperation at Pine Mountain” by Miss Gladys Hill and Miss Vera Hackman.
Mr. and Mrs. Ray Garman of the Harmon Foundation spent several weeks on campus, making a color film of PMSS activities. (There was some apprehension that the beauty of the PMSS campus on color film would not be effective for fund-raising.)
The steady rise in prices of food and farm supplies caused concern.
The A-1 group presented an original play entitled “Peace Does Not Last Forever” for Armistice Day, November 11.
The traditional Thanksgiving Chapel service, and a soccer game between Far House and Boys House preceded the Thanksgiving Ball. The Nativity Play December 14, and the Christmas week celebrations which followed, were carried out as the United States entered World War II. At PMSS a new pole was installed for the U. S. flag.
The boys presented their annual masculine revue of “Tomfoolery” March 7.
April 4 the Junior Class sponsored a defense rally for people of the surrounding community.
April 7 Miss Winnie Christensen arrived to teach folk-dancing for the traditional May Day program, May 2. (Miss Christensen was at PMSS 1924 – 1928 as Housemother at Boys House. Since 1933 she has come each spring for folk dancing instruction in preparation for May Day.
April 9 Miss Christensen accompanied a group of PMSS students to Berea College for the Berea Festival.
Easter Week included celebration of Holy Communion Thursday evening, April 2, and a baptismal service. A special chapel service was held Good Friday evening, and the regular Chapel Sunday morning.
TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1941-1942 [image 17]
Page 3, 1941-42
The Junior Class presented Shakespeare’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream” April 17.
Glyn Morris’s comprehensive study of PMSS was presented to the Trustees in May/ June, 1942. Initial reactions were that it was an excellent review, but there were serious questions about his recommendation that PMSS establish a junior college,
Guidance Institute: May ___________ .
Dr. Van Vleck attended as Board representative, and reported mingled feelings. Harlan County profits greatly from the Institute, it is excellent publicity for PMSS. Dr. V. feels the program is overcrowded, and guest consultants are not used to the best advantage.
Buildings were being prepared for R.E.A. service, to replace the troublesome campus generator. R.E.A. encountered difficulties and delays constructing a power line over the mountain, and in obtaining copper wire in competition with defense needs. Laurel House and West Wind had been wired in anticipation of R.E.A. power. It was necessary for PMSS to purchase a large converter. A breakdown of both the generator and the converter resulted in a campus blackout, and the necessity of buying a small, portable 22 h.p. International Kerosene Power unit for temporary use. In February, 1942, PMSS was connected to R.E.A. power.
Mr. Morris submitted to the November 15 Board of Trustees meeting a written request for leave of absence to join one of the services for the duration of the war, in the event of the United States’ entry. After careful consideration, the Board pointed out its hope that he would again weigh most carefully the relative values of his service to the country and the school. Subsequently Mr. Morris volunteered as Chaplain in the U. S. Army, and left for service on May 15, 1942. He asked for a leave of absence for one year, with the understanding that if he is not able to return at the end of the year the Board would be free to appoint a permanent successor. A leave of absence without salary, for a year from his May 15,1942 departure from PMSS, was voted at the June 13, 1942 Board Meeting.
The Executive Committee asked Mr. Arthur Dodd and Miss Alice Cobb to act as a “committee in charge” until further plans could be made.
Dr. Nutter initiated clinics at Turkey Fork, Line Fork, Bledsoe, Shell’s Laurel, and…
TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1941-1942 [image 18]
Page 4, 1941-42
…Lower Greasy, in addition to the PMSS Infirmary. Dr. Beals came to PMSS on a temporary basis after Dr. Nutter’s departure during the winter.
Miss Marion F. Peabody, Berea College, spent 10 days conducting a workshop for the Community Group on artistic use of materials ordinarily thrown away.
A travelling seminar of educators from Peabody College, Nashville TN, led by Dr. Norman Frost, Professor of Rural Education at Peabody College, visited Pine Mountain March 25-26.
Miss Olga Cossittini, principal of an elementary Experimental School in Rosario, Argentina, spoke to the Current History Class.
Judge Lewis Lyttle was an Assembly speaker in September, 1941.
Rev. Richard Baker, Line Fork, was a Chapel speaker in September, 1941.