Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 04: HISTORIES
1937-2000 HISTORY PMSS Summaries
HISTORY PMSS Summary 1959-1960
Tags: History PMSS summary 1959-1959, staff, events, number of students, Library, trustees, West Wind, Draper, visiting groups, community councils, properties, forestry, Boy Scouts, surveys
TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1959-1960 [image 67]
History of the Pine Mountain Settlement School
Alvin Boggs, Recreation and Community Worker
Matthew Boggs, Night Watchman
Lucile Boggs, Laurel House
Ruth Boggs, Teacher, 5th & 6th Grades
Cora Lee Campbell, Teacher, 6th & 7th Grades
Gerna Campbell, Principal, Pine Mountain, Green Hills, Salt Trace
Fern Cornett, Laurel House
Harrison Cornett, Bus Driver, Maintenance
Jess Cornett, Maintenance
Marcella Felde, Teacher, 9th and 10th grades
Maurice Felde, Teacher, 9th and 10th grades
Alice Harris, Laurel House
Polly Harris, Laurel House
Ruby Lanier, Bookkeeper
Naomi Lucas, Nurse
Gilbert Lewis, Maintenance
Omer Lewis, Bus Driver & Maintenance
Mildred Mahoney, Teacher, 1st & 2nd Grades, Part-time Secretary
Jaundola Parsley, Teacher, 3rd & 4th Grades
Jess Patterson, Maintenance
Alice Pennington, Laurel House
Beatrice Perry, Boys House Hostess, Weaving
Mary Rogers, Volunteer Librarian
Grace Rood Nurse
Juanita Scearse, Laurel House
Alma Tipton, Teacher, 2nd & 3rd Grades
Dr. George Tootell, Doctor (Clinic, Dec. – June)
Harriet Turner, Dietitian
Charlie Whitaker, Teacher, 7th & 8th Grades
Joyce Whitaker, Teacher, 4th & 5th Grades
Brit Wilder, Maintenance Supervisor & Farm Manager
Burton Rogers, Director
Number of students: 265 (10 grades), reduced to 248 by April
TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1959-1960 [image 68]
Page 2, 1959-60
The library was moved to Boys House and named the “Mary Gould Davis” library, in honor of Mary Gould Davis and in appreciation of her inspiration and help in the establishment of the elementary school library.
Trustee Marian Kingman and her Berea Home Economics Class visited PMSS March 27, giving attention to West Wind. They subsequently worked out plans for the decoration and renovation of West Wind for use as a guest house, then made curtains and bed spreads for the main floor West Wind rooms.
2 new classrooms were established in Draper building.
Miss Ethel Capps, Berea Recreational Extension Department, spent 2 1/2 days working with PMSS school groups.
A second community council group was formed, in the Incline-Divide neighborhoods, in the pattern of the Earlham College community development approach.
The Trustees considered the offer of part of the Charles Creech farm property to the Harlan County Board of Education as site for a consolidated elementary school.
Trustees authorized Burton Rogers to negotiate with Mrs. Alice Pennington re purchase of her 6 acre property, now completely encircled by PMSS property.
Logging of ripe timber continued on a reduced scale. The clearing, preparation and planting of 12 acres of forest land under the new Federal Reimbursement Program proved to be very expensive.
An official Boy Scout troop was organized.
A survey committee (Dr. Ogletree, Dr. Westover and Dr. Wear) presented a progress report to the Board. The final report was delayed until the completion of the Harlan County Educational Survey, and the Committee re-consideration in the light of its findings.