Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 09: BIOGRAPHY
ETHEL de LONG ZANDE
HELEN BRAY de LONG
ARABELLA BRAY de Long
DE LONG – ZANDE COLLECTION Guide
Donated by Kendell T. Bassett in the 1980s
Prepared by James Greene in 2014
TAGS: de Long – Zande Collection Guide, Ethel de Long Zande, Dr. James Greene III, Kendall T. Bassett, correspondence, PMSS Board of Trustees, donations, Smith College, postcards, photographs, scrapbooks, Zande family, drawings, publicity materials, Helen Bray de Long, Arabella Bray de Long, ephemera, diaries, Laden Trail, The Road, Harlan County
DE LONG – ZANDE: Greene Collection Guide
The following de Long – Zande Collection Guide was prepared by Dr. James Greene III, during and following his preparation for his dissertation, Progressives in the Kentucky Mountains: the formative years of the Pine Mountain Settlement School 1913-1930, completed in 1982, for the Doctor of Philosophy, ED Policy and Leadership, at Ohio State University.
The collection of folders contain documents donated to Pine Mountain Settlement School in the 1980s by Kendall T. Bassett, a former PMSS staff member and close friend of the de Long family. It consists largely of letters of correspondence. The folders have been itemized, but remain to be processed as full text. The annotations are those of Dr. Greene (JG) and describe the arrangement and processing of the collection. Dr. Greene currently (2016) serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Pine Mountain Settlement School.
The folder list is followed by a brief guide to other material related to Ethel de Long Zande and her family but not necessarily included in the Bassett donation.
LIST OF FOLDERS
SERIES I: ETHEL MARGUERITE DE LONG ZANDE
Note (JG): For many years she [Ethel de Long Zande] spent part of the summer with Arabella [her mother] and Helen [her sister] which is why there are apparent “gaps” in the correspondence.
The arrangement of the items in these folders is based about ninety percent on internal and external evidence and about ten percent on hunch. Researchers are welcome to make alternate suggestions if they believe an item belongs elsewhere.
SERIES II. HELEN BRAY DE LONG
- Letters to her family, 1903-07.
- Letters to her family, 1910.
- Letters to her family, April-June 1911.
- Letters to Arabella de Long. November-December 1911
- Letters to Arabella de Long. January 1912.
- Letters to Arabella de Long. February 1912
- Letters to Arabella de Long. March-May 1912
- Letters to her family. November-December 1912.
- Letters to her family, 1913.
- Letters to her family, January-February 1914.
- Letters to her family, March-August 1914.
- Letters to her family, 1917.
- Letters to her family, 1918.
- Letters to her family, 1919.
- Letters to her family, January-April 1920.
- Letters to her family, May-August 1920.
- Letters to her family, 1921-22.
- Letters to her family, 1923
- Letters to her family. 1924-25.
- Letters to Arabella de Long. 1928.
- Letters to the de Longs relating to the final illness and death of Ethel de Long Zande. 1928.
- Marjorie Browning Leavens, Letters to Helen de Long, 1911-1928.
- Letters from “June” [Eunice Gulliver] to Helen de Long.
- Antoinette Bigelow, Letters to Helen de Long, Arabella de Long, and Ethel de Long Zande, 1908-1936.
- Letters to Helen de Long, Various, 1905-1929.
- Helen de Long. Unclassified.
SERIES III. ARABELLA BRAY DE LONG
- Arabella Bray de Long Correspondence, 1871-1905.
- Letters, 1911.
- Letters, 1912.
- Letters, 1913-16.
- Letters, 1917.
- Letters, 1918.
- Letters, March-September 1919.
- Letters, October-November 1919.
- Letters, January-Late Spring, 1920.
- Letters, July-October 1920.
- Letters, August-September 1921.
- Letters, October-November 1921.
- Letters, August-October [?] 1922.
- Letters, 1927.
- Letters, 1928.
- Letters, 1934-35.
- Arabella de Long. Talks.
- Memo Box and Pocket Diary
- Letters and other papers. Members of the de Long and Bray families.
- Pine Mountain Friends to the de Longs, 1916-193[?]
- Miscellaneous Letters to Arabella de Long.
- Clippings, Cards, and Other Ephemera, Arabella and Helen de Long.
- Arabella de Long, Unclassified
ETHEL DE LONG ZANDE ADMINISTRATIVE CORRESPONDENCE
[Not included in GUIDE TO THE DE LONG-ZANDE PAPERS]
DEAR FRIEND LETTERS – INDEX (See above: LETTERS TO FRIENDS 1913 – 1928 for those by de Long
LETTERS TO FRIENDS 1913 – 1928 by Ethel de Long (See Also: Dear Friend Letters -Index) (Promotional literature)
PUBLICATIONS BY ETHEL DE LONG
ETHEL DE LONG, “DOINGS ON TROUBLESOME”, Smith Alumnae Quarterly. (July 11, 1911) [See also Scrapbook Before 1929.]
ETHEL DE LONG, “THE FAR SIDE OF PINE MOUNTAIN,” The Survey. 37 (October 1916)
ETHEL DE LONG, “MOUNTAIN MANNERS,” Smith Alumnae Quarterly
LETTERS TO FRIENDS 1913 – 1928 by Ethel de Long (See Also: Dear Friend Letters Index) (Promotional literature)
ETHEL DE LONG ZANDE PHOTOGRAPH ALBUM
HELEN DE LONG AND DE LONG FAMILY BOOK DONATION (Donated to Pine Mountain in 1942)
ETHEL DE LONG Talk, “SCHOOL AS COMMUNITY CENTER 1915” for National Conference of Charities and Corrections, June 7, 1915.
ETHEL DE LONG Letters Regarding the Road Across PMSS 1920-21