HISTORY PMSS Summary 1978-1979

Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 04: HISTORIES
1937-2000 HISTORY PMSS Summaries

HISTORY PMSS Summary 1978-1979

Tags: History PMSS summary 1978-1979, staff, interns, events, festivals, Head Start, timber sales, Mary Rockwell Hook, Chapel, Federal Register, trustees

TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1978-1979 [image 106]

History of the Pine Mountain Settlement School

Staff Members:

Tom Blodgett. E. E. Director (until March)
Boyd Boggs, Maintenance
Deborah Boggs, West Wind
Mae Boggs, Laurel House
Matthew Boggs, Night Watchman
Ruth Boggs, Bookkeeper
Gerry and Hoyd Brown, West Wind
Asbel Browning, Maintenance
Lorraine Browning, Laurel House
Mark Dalton, E. E.
Afton Garrison, E. E.
Sandra Lewis Grimsley, Office Secretary
Cami Hamilton, E. E.
Alice Harris, Laurel House
Gary Larson, E. E.
Gary Lewis, Maintenance
Omer Lewis, Maintenance Supervisor & Farm Manager
Sue Lewis, Laurel House
Ethel Middleton, Laurel House
Ann Moretz, E. E.
Mary Rogers, Librarian, E. E.
Marlyn Smith, Maintenance
Kenneth Thompson, Financial Development Officer (Half-time)
Mildred Wilder, Laurel House
Burton Rogers, Director Emeritus, Correspondence with donors
Alvin Boggs, Director


Laurie Haugan, Spring
Liz Barrett, Spring
Annette Hettinger, Spring
Ann Sicilian, Spring
Mark Dalton
Lynn McFarlan
Susan Collier, Summer
Carol Jones, Fall
Nancy Owens, Fall
Bruce Boggs
Scott Matthies
Rosie Statt
Chris Garty
Lynn Larose

Traditional Events: Community Fair, Nativity Play, Homecoming

TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1978-1979 [image 107]

Page 2, 1978-79


January term for college students.

Poke Sallet Festival, Spinning Bee, Educational program for emotionally disturbed children.

Head Start, contracted via Southeast Community College, operated in Burkham Bldg.

Timber felled as a result of the October, 1977, storm sold for $3400.00.

Mary Rockwell Hook, architect of many of PMSS historic buildings, died on her 101st birthday in September, 1978.

Chapel was re-roofed, and a window replaced.

A folding door was installed at the entrance to the Audio-Visual Room in Laurel House.

PMSS was included on the “Federal Register of Important Places”.

John Deaton completed his term as Alumni Trustee. Ruth Dieter succeeded him. William Hayes was elected to Board of Trustees. Board officers were Dr. Willis Weatherford, President, Dr. Pat Wear, Vice-president, Mr. Edward Cawood, Treasurer, Dr. Kenneth Thompson, Secretary.

June 25 — the 50th wedding anniversary of Brit and Ella Wilder was celebrated with a pot-luck supper at Laurel House.

GALLERY: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1978-1979

Return to GUIDE TO HISTORY PMSS Summaries 1937-2000