HISTORY PMSS Summary 1980-1981

Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 04: HISTORIES
1937-2000 HISTORY PMSS Summaries

HISTORY PMSS Summary 1980-1981

Tags: History PMSS summary 1980-1981, staff members, interns, events, workshops, photographic exhibits, Frontier Nursing Service Outpost Clinic, Alumni Association, Chapel organ, trustees, Columbus Creech house, reservoir

TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1980-1981 [image 110]

History of the Pine Mountain Settlement School

Staff Members:

Alvin Boggs, Director
Boyd Boggs, Maintenance
Matthew Boggs, Night Watchman
Ruth Boggs, Bookkeeper
Gerry Brown, West Wind
Hoyd Brown, Maintenance
Asbel Browning, Maintenance
Lorraine Browning, Laurel House
Maggie Buchanan, E. E.
Kit Cornett, Maintenance
Mark Dalton, Acting E. E. Coordinator, Jan. – June
Afton Garrison, E. E., Half-time
Candy Disch, Secretary
Cami Hamilton, E. E.
Alice Harris, Laurel House
Darlene Henderson, Office Secretary
Gary Lewis, Maintenance
Omer Lewis, Maintenance Supervisor & Farm Manager
Scott Matthies (March – May)
Ethel Middleton, Laurel House
Mary Rogers, Librarian, E. E.
David Siegenthaler, E. E. Director
Marlyn Smith, Maintenance
Andy Stowe, E. E.
Kenneth Thompson, Financial Development Officer (Half-time)
Maxine Turner, Laurel House
Mildred Wilder, Laurel House
Burton Rogers, Director Emeritus, Correspondence with donors
Alvin Boggs, Director


Sue Reed, Jill Benedict, Marjorie Marenberg, Scott Hassler, Dee NiceBarbara Johnson, Susie Alexander, Johnnie Mills, Steve Batson, Melanie Zuercher, Claudia Altemus, Mary Lyon, Joan Gobelman

Traditional Events:

Community Fair, Nativity Play, Homecoming, Fall Color Week-end, Wildflower Week-ends

Other Events:

Sixth year of Polk Sallet Festival at Pine Mountain.

TRANSCRIPTION: HISTORY PMSS Summary 1980-1981 [image 111]

Page 2, 1980-81

Edible Botany Workshop June 5 – 7, Spinning Bee — June 12-14

Lee Anderson, Louisville, compiled a photographic exhibit of PMSS as a project in fulfillment of his master’s degree; the exhibit was subsequently presented to PMSS. A reunion of students in the community school (1949-1972) was held in October.

The Frontier Nursing Service Outpost Clinic at PMSS served about 700 people in the past year. Its continuation was questioned.

The Alumni Association sponsored improvements in the chapel – wiring, floor repair, new windows and an oak memory stand.

Burton Rogers reported that the rebuilding of the organ was successfully completed.

Dr. Pat Wear resigned from the Board of Trustees at the time of his retirement from the Berea Dept. of Education. His successor at Berea, Dr. Jane Godfrey, was elected to the Board of Trustees.

William Hayes was elected to succeed Dr. Wear as Vice-Chairman of the PMSS Board of Trustees.

The house on the former Columbus Creech property burned. The $23,106.00 insurance reimbursement was added to endowment.

PMSS Trustees discussed plans for reservoir repair needed to eliminate leaks.

The re-built organ was returned to the Chapel.


Return to GUIDE TO HISTORY PMSS Summaries 1937-2000