Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 16: Celebrations, Special & Annual Events
By Topic: Celebrations
1931 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY
TAGS: 1931 Community Fair Day ; fairs ; Fair Day ; hog calling ; chicken calling ; sheep calling ; cow calling ; spelling ; song contest ; swimming contest ; dancing ; games ; relays ; awards ; prizes ; garden products ;poultry ; live stock ; cooking ; canned goods ; vegetables ; jams ; jellies ; home products ; flowers ; school exhibits ; booklets ; posters ; Hubert Hadley ; Evelyn K. Wells ; Fair revenues ; swimming contest ;
The 1931 Community Fair Day on Saturday, September 26, at Pine Mountain Settlement School, offered prizes for crafts, canned goods, cooking; garden products, poultry, home products, flowers, handcrafts, school exhibits, posters, and booklets.
One of the more interesting materials related to the 1931 Community Fair Day is a memo from Evelyn K. Wells, a member of the Board of Trustees, who responds to confusion regarding the funding of the Fair. She tries to untangle the question posed by the co-sponsors (Harlan County) regarding where any proceeds are to be deposited.
She notes that:
My understanding of the money for the Fair is that it has nothing to do with the School. The fair is held at the School because that is a handy place for the community to meet: a school worker has generally handled this only because she has certain facilities which make it easier for her. We do not run the fair for our own advantage; we do not enter the competitions, The local committee, with a school member, handles all the matters. [See image #5]
CONTENTS: 1931 Community Fair Day Program & Memo
- Broadside of Program at Pine Mountain Settlement School. Pine Mountain Community Day to be held Saturday, September 26, 1931. Morning Program: 1.) A Play 2.) Spelling 3.) Song contest, for school children 4.) Hog calling contest 5.) Chicken calling contest 6.) Sheep calling contest 7.) Cow calling contest. Afternoon Program: Awarding of Premiums ; Athletic Program: Horseshoe pitching contest ; Swimming contest ; Dancing.
- [Continuation of program] PREMIUM LIST FOR FAIR DEPT, A — Garden Products ; Department B — Poultry ; Department C –Home Products.
- [Continuation of program] Department D– Canned Goods ; Department E –Cooking
- [Continuation of program] Department F — Flowers ; Department G — School Exhibits (handcrafts, Posters, Booklets, Composition. SPECIAL: “No prize awards. Oldest and most rare articles (Book, Cooking vessel, Deer horn, Coverlet, Dish, Firearm, Handiwork, Indian relic, Letter, dated , Newspaper, dated, Plate, Any interesting articles. )
- Letter from E.K. Wells to Hubert Hadley, Director, April 22, 1931, describing the dual responsibility for the Community Fairs and the handling of revenue.
GALLERY: 1931 Community Fair Day Program & Memo
COMMUNITY FAIR DAY – History