Pine Mountain Settlement School
Series 16: CELEBRATIONS: SPECIAL AND ANNUAL EVENTS
1931 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY
TAGS: Community Fair Days ; fairs ; Fair Day ; hog calling ; chicken calling ; sheep calling ; cow calling ; spelling ; song contest ; swimming contest ; dancing ; games ; relays ; awards ; prizes ; garden products ;poultry ; live stock ; cooking ; canned goods ; vegetables ; jams ; jellies ; home products ; flowers ; school exhibits ; booklets ; posters ; Hubert Hadley ; Evelyn K. Wells ; Fair revenues ; swimming contest ;
The 1931 Community Fair Day on Saturday, September 26, at Pine Mountain Settlement School, offered prizes for crafts, canned goods, cooking; garden products, poultry, home products, flowers, handcrafts, school exhibits, posters, and booklets.
One of the more interesting materials related to the 1931 Community Fair Day is a memo from Evelyn K. Wells, a member of the Board of Trustees who responds to confusion regarding the funding of the Fair. She tries to untangle the question posed by the co-sponsors (Harlan County) regarding where any proceeds are to be deposited.
She notes that
My understanding of the money for the Fair is that it has nothing to do with the School. The fair is held at the school because that is a handy place for the community to meet: a school worker has generally handled this only because she has certain facilities which make it easier for her. We do not run the fair for our own advantage; we do not enter the competitions, The local committee, with a school member, handles all the matters. [See image #5]
- Broadside of Program at Pine Mountain Settlement School. Pine Mountain Community Day to be held Saturday, September 26, 1931. Morning Program: 1.) A Play 2.) Spelling 3.) Song contest, for school children 4.) Hog calling contest 5.) Chicken calling contest 6.) Sheep calling contest 7.) Cow calling contest. Afternoon Program: Awarding of Premiums ; Athletic Program: Horseshoe pitching contest ; Swimming contest ; Dancing.
- continuation of program: PREMIUM LIST FOR FAIR DEPT, A — Garden Products ; Department B — Poultry ; Department C –Home Products.
- continuation of program: Department D– Canned Goods ; Department E –Cooking
- continuation of program: Department F — Flowers ; Department G — School Exhibits (handcrafts, Posters, Booklets, Composition. SPECIAL: “No prize awards. Oldest and most rare articles (Book, Cooking vessel, Deer horn, Coverlet, Dish, Firearm, Handiwork, Indian relic, Letter, dated , Newspaper, dated, Plate, Any interesting articles. )
- Letter from E.K. Wells to Hubert Hadley, Director. April 22, 1931, describing the dual responsibility for the Community Fairs and the handling of revenue.
1931 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY
1935 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY
1939 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY
1940 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY
1945 COMMUNITY FAIR DAY